Saturday, June 30, 2007

Syndromes and a Century (2006, Apichatpong Weerasethakul)

As with most of "Joe's" films, I watched this like Homer Simpson watching TWIN PEAKS- "amazing! Incredible! I have no idea what's going on..." I mean, yeah, I got most of the broad outlines of this, but how everything fits together doesn't exactly compute. But then, is it really supposed to? As with TROPICAL MALADY, I think the most important thing when watching this film is to be mindful of the strange corners it lights up in your mind. Joe's movies refresh the parts most other movies can't even reach. Also, they've got what plants crave and, as Chris observed, they most likely have curative powers. If only we give ourselves over to them, that is. P.S.: Filmbrain uploaded the awesome song from the final scene. You're welcome in my opinion. Rating: 8 out of 10.

No comments: